Thursday, April 30, 2020

Meekness

Virtue:
Meekness

Other names:


Definition:
Resisting your own anger



Advice:


Empirical Research:
We have not been able to find any empirical research on Meekness. Research on Forgiveness, however, may be relevant. According to CSV, forgiveness involves a positive change in attitude and behavior towards a person who has wronged us. It is defined more narrowly than mercy, which includes compassion towards subordinates and those in distress. Some studies distinguish forgiveness from reconciliation, or full restoration of trust between the two parties (e.g. Worthington & Drinkard, 2000).

Forgiveness is linked to lower levels of anger, anxiety, depression and hostility (Berry et al., 2002; Matlby, Macaskill, & Day, 2001). There is wide interest, but little agreement, as to whether or not forgiveness is linked to improved physical health.

Forgiveness is connected to the capacity for empathy (McCullough et al., 1997, 1998, 2003). Apologies have been shown to promote forgiveness and create greater empathy (Ibid.; Darby & Schlenker, 1982; Ohbuchi, Kameda, & Agarie, 1989).

Case examples:


Gifts of the Holy Spirit


Further reading:
Moloney, Fr. Daniel, "Christian meekness is not for wimps."


Vices opposed:
Anger


4 comments:

  1. Case Study

    In his autobiography, Mover of Men and Mountains, industrialist and earth moving machinery inventor R. G. LeTourneau recalls a dispute with a former business partner and fellow church-member who was laying claim to a share of the profits for LeTourneau's most recent construction job on dubious legal grounds. "I thought he was out of his mind. I talked it over with Carlton Case [a lawyer], leaving him as astounded as I was. 'What you did was on your own and within your rights,' he said. 'Your ex-partner hasn't got a leg to stand on.'
    "'Let him sue?' I asked.
    "'Let him sue,' said Case.
    "But as I walked away, I couldn't seem to accept the idea of what I knew would be a bitter court battle. Not that I am one to turn away from a fight. Under other circumstances I've defended myself in court, but here I had my church to think about. I had refused to fight with my partner in the dispute over my relatives [an argument about employment practices that had taken place some time earlier], and the Lord had approved and shown me the way out. To start another fight would be to jeopardize the unity of our church, the very thing the Lord had wanted me to avoid the first time.
    "I took my problems to Him. I still didn't want to give up without a fight, but His quiet voice said, 'No.' I protested that the right was on my side, that my partner had ordered my relatives fired, and that I had hired another crew to replace them. 'My lawyer is confident we will win.' I argued. 'You have confidence in your lawyer,' I heard. 'How much confidence do you have in Me?'
    "I was seeing the point, but I had to add, 'But how can he call himself a Christian, and serve as the senior member of the church, and still take the money when it's rightfully mine?'
    "'Going to church doesn't make a Christian,' I heard, 'unless he goes there with an open heart to seek God.' Then He seemed to say, 'You may take your choice. You may place the case in the hands of your attorney, or you may leave it in my hands.'
    "In I Corinthians 13:1 the Bible says that without love or charity we become as sounding brass or a tinkling cymbal. I loved the Lord, and my confidence was in Him. Just the same, I am ashamed to admit, I wasn't feeling very charitable when I went up to my ex-partner and said, 'All right, there'll be no lawsuit over this. We'll settle it your way, and leave the rest in the hands of God.'
    "Then I couldn't help but say, 'This kind of fifty-fifty partnership reminds me of the cook who made fifty-fifty rabbit stew. One horse, one rabbit. Sort of one-sided, but no hard feelings.' Having got that off my chest, I felt better.
    "The footnote to the above story is that a year later, after two disastrous contracts of his own, my former partner was wiped out. If the Lord doesn't think you are worthy of having it, He'll find ways of taking it away." (LeTourneau, Mover of Men and Mountains, pp. 167-68)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Advice

    “Do not give vent to impatience and annoyance on slight provocation. Some offensive individuals seem to develop a striking capacity for becoming annoyed, which they indulge with little or no restraint.” (King, The Unwritten Laws of Business, 75-76)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Advice

    “Do not harbor grudges after disagreements involving honest differences of opinion. Keep your arguments objective and leave personalities out as much as possible.” (King, The Unwritten Laws of Business, 76)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Advice

    “Form the habit of considering the feelings and interests of others.” (King, The Unwritten Laws of Business, 76)

    ReplyDelete